Welcome to my blog of my progress in the Parelli Program!

This is a blog of my journey with my wonderful, amazing, smart, unconfident and then pretends to be--and is-- defaint, Quarter Horse mare, Brizzee, in the Parelli Program! We are official Level 1 Graduates as of spring, of 2009! We are currently playing with On-Line and Freestyle at Levels 2 & 3. I am also beginning to "play" with a friends horse. Sugar is a RBI 5 year old bay Quarter Horse. She is really "calm" and "quiet" and isn't very confident, but she's sensitive and very willing. I thank you for coming with me along my journey of playing with two wonderful horses! :)

Monday, February 23, 2009

Our Relationship

I was reading Fran's blog last night, and I realized what I am doing wrong. The signs were there for the last couple of times I played with her. I would send her out to do the Circling Game, and she would move Sideways, etc. but wouldn't leave me. I had to wiggle the rope hard to get her out, and go up to the "promise phase", etc. And then when I took her halter off that one day and she just stood by me. So, the signs were there all along, and I just didn't SEE THEM...? How could I have not seen it/known it??

That would make sense why the last time I played with her she wouldn't come to me, acted up, pulled me to the gate, wouldn't try, etc. I had gotten SO DIRECT LINE, about getting "tasks" done and Auditioning, etc. that I wasn't thinking about our RELATIONSHIP! When I played with her at Liberty on Thanksgiving day, she just stood over me, and wouldn't leave me. I felt so good about that like"yes, she finally trust me!" So I didn't put "as much" effort into our Relationship as I should have. I guess I kinda took her for granted.

Summer was the last time I did Undemanding time with her =-( I don't blame her for wanting to get away from me. I turned into a Direct Line predator asking/telling/promising her to do this, that...I don't blame her at all for pulling me towards the gate and trying to get away from me, and acting up. Her partner turned into a predator! I'm so sorry Brizzee.

So, the next time I play with her (I didn't play with her Saturday or yesterday because I wasn't feeling very good at all...figures the one REALLY nice day, and I don't feel good. If I get to feeling better today I might go out there) I'm going to do LOTS of Undemanding time. I'll open the gate to the "PLAY pen", let her go through, and then just sit and watch her, spend time with her. Maybe even throw in a flake of hay and just sit by it. Or maybe just put the halter on her and PLAY. Just hang out, put my arm over her, go where she does, and just hang out. I really need to do a lot more of that!

There is so much to learn!! lol. But that's okay, because I LOVE learning...IF it involves horses and not school. LOL. I have learned so much from Brizzee, and every day I'm learning more and more things. Horses truly are teachers if YOU are willing to listen and learn. So from now on, I'm not going to focus on Auditioning or any of that stuff, just on our Relationship, and having FUN togethere. Maybe we'll be able to audition before May, maybe not until next year, but I don't care. Fran was right on her post, a relationship and partnership does mean a lot more then a string and certificate. Fran, you're great! And THANK YOU!

Aren't things funny like that? You try and try and try to figure out a problem. You read through the site, and you see things about the Relationship and such, but sometimes it just takes a CERTAIN thing before it clicks! I'm glad I looked at her blog last night, otherwise I would probably still be thinking. "What is it about this time of year that makes her so cranky? Oh, wait a minute, it's ME and our relationship." hehe.

Oh, and guess what?!?! My mom bid on the Liberty and Horse Behaviour last night on Ebay and we GOT IT!! Yes!! I can't wait till it gets here. I hope that will help me with understanding Brizzee (and any horse for that matter) better. I can't wait to get it!

Savvy On,
~Randa~ & ~Brizzee~
www.myspace.com/naturalpaints

No comments:

Natural Horse Man Ship