Welcome to my blog of my progress in the Parelli Program!

This is a blog of my journey with my wonderful, amazing, smart, unconfident and then pretends to be--and is-- defaint, Quarter Horse mare, Brizzee, in the Parelli Program! We are official Level 1 Graduates as of spring, of 2009! We are currently playing with On-Line and Freestyle at Levels 2 & 3. I am also beginning to "play" with a friends horse. Sugar is a RBI 5 year old bay Quarter Horse. She is really "calm" and "quiet" and isn't very confident, but she's sensitive and very willing. I thank you for coming with me along my journey of playing with two wonderful horses! :)

Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Frustration > Patience > Fun = SAVVY!!

That pretty much sums up Brizzee's and I playday yesterday. lol. We did a lot of new things yesterday. I messaged her back legs for a long time, almost got done on my knees!! A little more confident around her back legs, but not quite one hundred percent yet, but it'll come in time. Then I haltered her from my KNEES!! That was fun. She didn't pull up her head, back up, moved side to side or anything. She just lowered her head and stood there while I put the halter on, sweet girl.
And then we did a lot of different things with the games!!

Friendly: Leg massage, helicopter in zone 3, 4 , and a little bit in 5!! :) She wasn't real confident with that. She put her head up and her ears twitched back and she kept looking at me from the corner of her eye, but she did really good. And then we played with the tarp and I was able to rub her with the tarp, and after a few minutes I had the full tarp laying over her!! YAY!! It went from her rump, to the very back of her ears in zone 2, just draping over her. When I went to pull it up over her head she freaked out a little. I pulled it off and just as I did the wind came up and she spoked out from under it, and then she just stopped, looked at me with the "orange flying monster", and then she finally licked and came up. So that was exiting.
Then I had her walking over the tarp and stopping on it. She could stop with both of her front feet on it, but she couldn't keep her back feet on it. She kept moving away from it. But that's okay, we're playing with it! :-)

Driving Game: We did the Figure 8 with the cones, and then we did the figure 8 with the cones on the tarp at the walk. She was pretty confident with that. And I tried doing some driving her from Zone 3/4/5. She was okay in Zone 3, but then zone 4/5 is when she really started getting confused. She kept turning aroudn and coming up to me, or else she would just stand there and back up. I had just wanted to see how she'd do and what it's like. I probably gave her mixed signals or something. It's different though.

Yo-Yo Game: I backed Brizzee out of our little barn thing, brought her back in, yo yoed her out again, brought her in several times. And then we switched. Then I backed her in, brought her back out, and then backed her back in again. That was FUN!!

Circling Game: We did a transition, two change of directions and then she even did one full lap of cantering with the Circling Game! Yippee!! She was even confident. It used to be I'd ask her for the canter on the ground with something and she'd go Right Brain and have to move and run, and run, and run and she couldn't even look at me. But yesterday she did one lap, confidently, stopped when I glared at her, turned and came into me, licked, and then of course examined me for her treat. Silly goose. And we did the Circling Game where she had to move around the cones, and over the tarp. She'd sometimes go around the tarp, cut between the tarp and myself, and she knocked a few cones over. But I didn't care where she went, just as long as she watched out for them. That was fun!!

Sideways Game: Oh goodness, where do I begin with this? lol. We sideways around the cement water thing, she did pretty good. And we sideways down the fence towards the other fence and when the other fence got close, she went a little Right Brain, ran away, and then stopped and stared at the fence. We played with that a little more. She'll be okay up to a certain point going towards the fence,and then she just runs. So then I squeezed her between myself and the fence, thinking maybe that was the problem, and she did okay. She kept trotting through the squeeze so we continued playing with it until she could go through the squeeze at the walk confidently and calmly with her head down. And then we tried the Sideways towards the fence and the same thing happened.
So then I thought we'd try to do sideways towards. She didn't even budge. hehe. So the I tried to just her Zone 4 to turn to me. At first she would try, and I'd reward her as soon as she tried, and then she would just stand there with that; "Not going to do it!" Look on her face. She was being defiant. So we just played around that, tried it again, she took ONE step towards me with zone 4, and then we went to something else.

Odd: I got down on my knees, picked up her leg and brought it down giving her a treat. That went okay. Her knee was kinda close to the ground, but not really, but she didn't pull her leg, or act defiant or anything. She just reached aroudn with her neck, took the treat, and then I put her hoof back down on the ground easily, massaged her legs. I was really tempted to go under her belly, but I didn't.
And then I tapped her legs to pick them up. She finally remembered to stand still. She's so funny. She'll lift her left leg real easy, leave it in the air for a while and then set it down gently. But with her right hoof, she'll pick it up, put it down quickly, and it'll be in a different spot then what it was in before, but that's okay.

And then we did a little bit at liberty. We just walked around together, and even trotted...towards the gate of course. lol. And then I put the 12 foot line on her, hopped up on her back and we rode around for a while. As usual, she kept going towards the gate.

I'm trying to figure that out. Everytime I ride her, inside the pen she goes to the gate, no matter what pen we are in, and what's on the other side of the gate. And then when we go out into the yard, she goes to the gate again to go into the paddock, so we go through the gate into the paddock, she goes back to the gate again...hmm. I'm trying to figure out what it is about the gate the she likes so much.

But we had a lot of fun today. Everytime I would begin to feel frustrated, I took a deep breath, and just hugged Brizzee. And when I did she didn't really hug me back, but she did do something that she's never done before ;-) She kinda tucked her chin over my shoulder...sweet. I promised her that I wouldn't let anything come between us. No man is going to come between us, another horse isn't going to come between us, NOTHING is going to come between my horse and I, nothing.

And then I felt better, got my patience back, we played again. And that happened several times, but I was able to get my frustration under control and got patience, and in all and all it turned out to be a very fun & savvy day!!

And then I went out to play with Sugar, our friend's horse. You can check out my other blog www.otherhorsenalities.blogspot.com for that.

Savvy On,
~Randa~ & ~Brizzee~
PS. Only 177 more days until New Moon (the second movie in the Twilight Saga) comes out in Theaters!! hehehe.

No comments:

Natural Horse Man Ship