Welcome to my blog of my progress in the Parelli Program!

This is a blog of my journey with my wonderful, amazing, smart, unconfident and then pretends to be--and is-- defaint, Quarter Horse mare, Brizzee, in the Parelli Program! We are official Level 1 Graduates as of spring, of 2009! We are currently playing with On-Line and Freestyle at Levels 2 & 3. I am also beginning to "play" with a friends horse. Sugar is a RBI 5 year old bay Quarter Horse. She is really "calm" and "quiet" and isn't very confident, but she's sensitive and very willing. I thank you for coming with me along my journey of playing with two wonderful horses! :)

Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Busy, Busy, Busy!!

Oh, my, my, my, where do I start? I have been so busy these last few days, I don't even know where to begin...I even forgot what day what happened on. lol.

Wednesday: I'm not sure if this is the right day or not, but oh well. My brother called, asking if it was okay if he came out with his two kids to ride. So we were busy with that on Wednesday. So my neice and nephew rode Brizzee while I lead her around. She did really good, except for wanting the grass. I felt so bad. Here she is, wanting this green grass, and I just keep teasing her with it by walking over and over the grass...I felt kinda bad, but after a while she stopped trying...as hard. Whenever she saw a chance of getting a mouthful she took it. lol.
But she did really, really good with that.
I was a little scared at first because it's been a long time since any young person has ridden her, but she did pretty good. My arm got really tired though from keeping her head up. So then my brother offered to lead her around.
I sat down in the dirt and watched. I feel terrible for being so happy about this, I know it's wrong, but Brizzee did a lot better with me leading her then with my brother. She woudln't go, she just stood there, and even when he tried to stop her from getting the grass, she still got to it. And then he stopped and she wouldn't stop. LOL. I know it's bad, but it took a lot I had to keep from smiling about that. I don't know why, it's terrible, but she does the same thing with my mom. She doesn't mind that well either. But she does pretty good with me so I guess I must be doing something right :-)
Anyways, my brother didn't lead her around very long before he gave her back to me. hehehehe. So that was a fun/tiring day. After the kids had enough my brother rode Ute, my mom's horse and I rode Brizzee. We went on a quick trail ride, and that was fun. Except Brizzee has a really short stride compared to Ute, and she was really tired, so even though they were both walking, Brizzee and I were a few feet behind him so when my brother and I talked we had to practically scream to hear each other. And on the way back my brother cantered Ute, and Brizzee decided that she would canter. That was fun! I felt really balanced. My feet were forward...I think, and I felt a little more secure then I have before. So maybe I'm getting a little better at keeping my feet forward, I don't know.
Here are some pics of the kids riding;



My brother and my nephew.

And my mom leading Ute with my neice.

Mom, Ute, and my neice.
My brother, and my nephew on Brizzee...of course.

Look at that face!

Thursday: We went to Team Sorting Practice. Oh, Brizzee was so fun! I think she was a little LBE when Ute was around, and then when he wasn't she was a little RBE, but she did really good. At first she coudln't stand still unless Ute was there, so then we rode around, trotted, and then we stood away from him. She stood calmly for about 2.5 seconds before she started whinnying for him, going towards him. It's a challenge, but we're getting better! I guess it's kinda like me being afriad of Tornadoes. My mom knows that there isn't going to be a tornado, she doesn't know what I'm so worried about it and she thinks it's silly, but I'm still scared that there's going to be a Tornado.
So it's the same with me and Brizzee. Nothing is going to happen to her away from Ute (with her anyways. She might buck me off but she'll be okay. lol), and I don't understand why she is so ancy away from him, but she can't help it. The only thing we can both do to get over it is for one, UNDERSTAND each other, find a way to overcome it, and OVERCOME it. I'm not going to "make" her stay away from Ute. We'll go away from him, come back, go away, and just work with it a little at a time.
Or I might try also that when she's around Ute, we'll do things. We'll do Sideways, Backs up, we'll do all kinds of things, and then when we are away from Ute, we'll just stand, relax, and do calming things. That might work...HMM.
But she did really good in with the steers. She went away from Ute a lot better, and she was really good with the steers. She was quick too. When we get a cow out from the bunch and he starts to go back in, sometimes she'll trot and go after him. But it's so funny, she'll lay her ears back at the cows, and if they don't move she snakes her head aroudn at them. lol. I think she actually enjoys doing this! =-)
Friday: Didn't do anything with her on Friday...I don't think. Hmm.
Saturday: We got hay on Saturday. Didn't do anything with her. But my mom's and I Level 1 Certificates and Red Strings arrived!!! Yay!! I all ready have my certificate in a frame all ready. I'm trying to decide if I should put my red string in a safe place and send it to Ginny Sue...or if I should use it. I don't want it to get all muddy though, but I would like to use it...hmm. Oh, it's been terrible weather. Basically since Thursday evening it's just thunderstorms, thunderstorms, thunderstorms...YUCK!!
Sunday: I read through all of my book, A Different Life, revised it.
Monday: Holy cow! Well, I got a President's Educational Award...hmm. It even has the President's signature, and I have absolutely no idea what that is for. Maybe all the Middle School people get it in their last year of Middle School before the go into High School, I don't know.
It was crappy weather so I did more with my books. And when I went outside to water the horses yesterday evening Brizzee was looking at me, and the weather wasn't that bad.
I got the carrot stick and just went out there with her. Didn't halter her or anything. We did the Squeeze Game, picked up her front feet from the same side, massaged her everywhere. And I just wanted to see if she would line up to the cement water trough at liberty, and she did. She just stood there too so what did I do? I took advantage of it. I dropped the carrot stick, got on the cement, she continued to stand there, so I just laid across her. No halter, rope, or anything on her. The only thing I grabbed going there was the carrot stick.
She just stood there while I laid across her. So I sat on her. She stood there and I just petted her. She walked over to the fence, stood there for a few minutes, stood by the gate, went back to the fence, and just stood there. I sat on her BRIDLE-LESS!! FINALLY!! She didn't feel stiff or anything. SHe just does what she usually does. Stands in one place for a while, moves to another place, stands, etc. But I was extremely happy. I sat on her BRIDLE-LESS!! I'm so happy!!
Today: I did nothing with her today. I was going to but we were planting the garden, and now I need to go out and do chores. And we're supposed to still have thunderstorms for most of the week, so yippee...not. But it's a good time to work on my books and crochet anyways.

My German Shepherd, Kiah "Big Dawg", and then our little Bichone Frise. Lil Buddy. They are buds and play with each other. Kiah is so careful with him. It's cute.

And our cat, Tike. She and Buddy kinda grew up together, so they play with each other. And now she's pregnant, so we're going to have kittens! I'm excited for that, but my mom is dreading it. lol.
Savvy On,
~Randa~ & ~Brizzee~

1 comment:

Pony Girl said...

Looks like the kids had a fun ride! That would have made my day at their age! :) My horse is better for me than other people, too! I think they get used to a person handling them. My horse is really a one-person horse!

Natural Horse Man Ship