Welcome to my blog of my progress in the Parelli Program!

This is a blog of my journey with my wonderful, amazing, smart, unconfident and then pretends to be--and is-- defaint, Quarter Horse mare, Brizzee, in the Parelli Program! We are official Level 1 Graduates as of spring, of 2009! We are currently playing with On-Line and Freestyle at Levels 2 & 3. I am also beginning to "play" with a friends horse. Sugar is a RBI 5 year old bay Quarter Horse. She is really "calm" and "quiet" and isn't very confident, but she's sensitive and very willing. I thank you for coming with me along my journey of playing with two wonderful horses! :)

Monday, May 11, 2009

Patience, and plenty of it

Hey, sorry it's been a while. Things have been hectic this month. Our internet was done for aobut a week, and I had a Science Fair project...UGH. Very busy. Last Friday was the Science Fair, and I won a first place ribbon...course, so did 6 other people.
This is what my board looked like.

Yes, that's a real hoof. I was able to borrow it from a shoe place near us. I have to take it back today.
After Friday, however, thing calmed down a little bit. We went to get hay on Saturday, and my toe was buggin me (ingrown toenail), so after we got the hay I just pretty much sat at the computer all day. I wanted to write, but I wasn't in the mood...even though I wanted to be. But whatever.
For Mother's day we just sat in the living room for the better part of the morning, crocheting. We went for a 4-wheeler ride up a dirt road to see if we coudl ride the horses up there, and it looks okay to do so. We then went to get some flowers that mom planted while I rode Brizzee.
I can't beleive how long it's been since I've played with her. I played with her a little bit. She was very LBE yesterday. Of course, there was grass EVERYWHERE that she kept trying to get, silly goose. I played with her a little bit with the Preflight checks, then I got on.
That was funny. She just stood there while I groomed her and saddled her, but as soon as my foot was in that stirrup, off she went towards the grass. Silly. So that was exciting. I have just gotten used to her standing still, so that was a..."Hmm" moment.
That's pretty much how it went the rest of the day. She would go to the grass, go to the grass, go to the grass, and no matter what, she was always able to get her head down there and eat the grass, and then I couldn't get her head back up. I'd let her eat the grass, but she's foundered and I don't want her to get worse. But she acts like she's starving, which she's all ready too fat. lol.
But that was exciting. It wasn't really...Enjoyable, but at least we did somethign together. She's just so used to a man riding her, using a heavy hand on her, getting firm with her and everything that she doesn't listen to me at all, UNTIL I get firm with her...:-( I don't want to do that, but I guess I'll just have to get firm with her before I can start getting lighter and lighter.
But she cantered again yesterday! I was trotting her around, and just barely squeezed and she cantered!! YEAH! It lasted for about 2.5 seconds. lol. She's such a funny girl.
We ended it on a good note though. We have four calves that we let out into a big pen, and Brizzee and I went in there and just started seperating some of them, walking around them, etc. She was so funny. She laid her ears back at them when they wouldn't move, and hten she would like pounce at them. I thought I was going to come off. It was fun. And then it was time to put them in their pen, so about thiry minutes later Brizzee had them all rounded up into their pen. That was fun.
I love my horse so much. I know she would be better if I could get my feet in the right spot. I don't know why that is so hard for me to do, but it is. I just a place where I feel very secure, and then something happens and I loose it...UGH!! I was starting to loose patience with myself yesterday because I couldn't get my feet right. I felt like my butt was on the Balance Point, but my legs weren't. So I was loosing patience, but I was able to stop, get my patience back and smile.
But we still have a lot of fun things on the Ground to play with! I think I enjoy playing with her on the ground more then I enjoy riding her. :-)
As soon as school is done I'll be moving in with my dad (we need to fix the corrals up though. The cattle that our neighbor had in our corral tore up our fences) and then I'll have plenty of time to play with Brizzee!! YAY!!
Savvy On,
~Randa~ & ~Brizzee~

No comments:

Natural Horse Man Ship