Welcome to my blog of my progress in the Parelli Program!

This is a blog of my journey with my wonderful, amazing, smart, unconfident and then pretends to be--and is-- defaint, Quarter Horse mare, Brizzee, in the Parelli Program! We are official Level 1 Graduates as of spring, of 2009! We are currently playing with On-Line and Freestyle at Levels 2 & 3. I am also beginning to "play" with a friends horse. Sugar is a RBI 5 year old bay Quarter Horse. She is really "calm" and "quiet" and isn't very confident, but she's sensitive and very willing. I thank you for coming with me along my journey of playing with two wonderful horses! :)

Monday, April 6, 2009

FREESTYLE!!

Well, I rode Brizzee yesterday...ALL DAY! It was an awesome day yesterday!

I went to play with her. We played on the ground, and she was really paying attention, looking at me, and was really good! We had fun. I then saddled her, and rode her a little bit in the pen. She was dull, kept fighting, always went to the gate, then stopped. She woudln't bend...until we got to the gate. I'm thinking; "Okay, so she's just not confident, maybe something's poking her..." And then mom opened the gate.

We went out in the driveway, rode around, and she was still pulling against me, not bending. So we rode between the corrals and the field. She was really slow going away, and then coming back she was trotting, and go really fast. So we went down there again, rode around in our fourth corral (which it just has rail road ties set up, there's no fence.) And we rode around down there, weaving in and out of the rail road ties, and then going up and down little hills. My mom calls them "bunny hills".

We rode out on the dirt road, and then when we came back, Brizzee was really trotting, prancing, I don't know how many times I bent her. I think I had calluses on my hand. I wanted to play with her on the ground because I just thought she was unconfident, but my mom kept saying: "She's not unconfident! This is what she is used to Randa. Larry rode her this way, and used a heavy hand on her. Your just going to have to get firm with her in the saddle a few times before she'll start getting lighter, and lighter. You're introducing her to a whole new world, so you need to just introduce her to things a little bit at a time."

So I rode her all day, and she didn't buck! lol. I beat if I would've just let her go going back up to the house, she would have galloped, so I'm glad that I didn't. :-) But it was fun, very fun! And when we got back and I dismounted, she had a different look in her eyes. She actually looked
H-A-P-P-Y. She was actually looking around, looking interested in things, I've never seen her like that before! She was an LBE! I think maybe her "true" horsenality has been buried all these years, and now it's starting to "reveal itself"...if that is possible with horses. But I was happy!!

On Saturday I'll probably take her to the Team Sorting. I'm not going to Team Sort, but I'll ride her, see how she does. I'm looking forward to it. And I know that the second things start feeling bad, or going wrong, I can get off. So I'm looking forward to it. And I think I'll wait until everyone is standing still, watching the Team Sorting before I ride her in the arena. I get too "AAAAHHH!" When everyone is right there. So it'll be fun!!

Sugar: I also played with Sugar yesterday for about an hour. My mom wnated me to ride Ute, her horse, but I didn't really want to. So instead, I asked if I could ride Sugar, our friend's horse. I played with her on the ground, and she was fine. Didnt' ask for the trot or anything at the Circling Game, until my mom told me to, so then I asked for it. Boy, she can REAR!! That's the first time I have ever been in person with a horse rearing before. It's like...Wow! Look at that!! It was interesting. :-)

So I was playing with her, and then mom says; "Take her into the round pen and work her." I don't know why, but to me when you do that it just seems irritating. I have only done that with my horse a few times right after I got her, but that was before Parelli. In my oppoinon, when you are PLAYING with your horse without a line, you should all ready have a relationship, and then play with your horse.

But mom kept insisting, so I turned her loose in the round pen, thinking; "Gosh, I really don't want to work her like this." But I did. I had her switch directions a lot (of course, she would turn into the fence :-( And so I was playing with her, and then I really started not feeling too good. Everything began to seem a little distant and my head just starting POUNDING.

Luckily she came into me at that moment, so I just petted her, and leaned against her, then put the halter on, trying to ignore my head pounding. And when I turned to mom she's like; "Are you okay? You look purple." I thought I was going to pass out, but I was okay. Today my face is red/purple, and my head pounds really hard at times.

But I'm hoping that tomorrow I'll go out and play with Brizzee some more! Maybe ride her, play Online and Liberty with her. Maybe she's just bored, and that's what her problem is...but why would she get unconfident when I introdce her to new things? I don't know. But it was fun yesterday!! I LOVE MY HORSE!!

Savvy On,
~Randa~ & ~Brizzee~

No comments:

Natural Horse Man Ship