Welcome to my blog of my progress in the Parelli Program!

This is a blog of my journey with my wonderful, amazing, smart, unconfident and then pretends to be--and is-- defaint, Quarter Horse mare, Brizzee, in the Parelli Program! We are official Level 1 Graduates as of spring, of 2009! We are currently playing with On-Line and Freestyle at Levels 2 & 3. I am also beginning to "play" with a friends horse. Sugar is a RBI 5 year old bay Quarter Horse. She is really "calm" and "quiet" and isn't very confident, but she's sensitive and very willing. I thank you for coming with me along my journey of playing with two wonderful horses! :)

Sunday, October 26, 2008

Yesterday's Play Session!!

YEAH!! Yesterday's play day went really well. Not only did my mom take some pictures of Brizzee, but I also got to play with her...finally! I played the porcupine game and lowered her head from the "Delicate Zone" (behind her ears). She used to hate doing that, and I could never touch her head, or her ears, but now I have no problem with it! The improvement in Brizzee is just amazing...it's funny how much fun you can have, when you understand your horse and your horse's horsenality.
Then, I kneeled down and was able to lower her head, by putting a little pressure on the rope! There's some pics of these over on the side...I think. Here's the one with me standing with her, lowering her head down:


Then, I picked up her frong hoof, and gave her a treat between her two front legs, trying to get her to bow. Here's a pic of that too. It didn't out very good though, because you can't see what I'm trying to do, but that's okay. Here it is:




Then, after we did those things, I played the Circling Game #5. At first, she was really LBI. DIdn't want to go, she'd trot a few steps, and then slow back down to a walk, then we changed direction, and that went pretty well. Then my mom wanted to see how we were doing with the Sideways game#6, so we played that as well. That was wonderful! Brizzee went sideways, BOTH WAYS, without aruging with me!! I was so excited/proud of her. Then, we went into the "play pen". My mom put some logs on some old tires, and we "walked" over them. I'm trying to get Brizzee to jump, but she isn't even confident with stepping over things that are off the ground yet, so we're taking it slowly. She did that pretty good, and then we played the Touch It & Figure Eight Patterns. That went really good!

Then I felt like riding her bare back, so mom was playing with her while I ran to get the Natural Hackamore. I found out after I rode her, that when I left, Brizzee bucked, reared up, and kept turning, watching me. I don't know why she did that, but luckily my mom was okay. Of course, my mom didn't even tell me till I was done playing with her. She said she acted that way because her "owner" was leaving. lol. We then took her into the round pen. Where I played some more Circling Game...at first she got all arugumentive/defiant. She leaped into the air, cro-hopped, pulled on the rope...etc. She got a little, RBE. Then she calmed down, and we played again. She was trotting around me in a circle, wasn't pulling, and was being very good. Then I rode her!

That was fun...I haven't ridden her for a long time...especially bareback. I didn't ride very long though. I just rode long enough to where I could bend her to a stop, without circling a million times, and when I found my Blance Point!!!

Then we played at LIBERTY! Brizzee has been lounged in the round pen a lot, so at first she was just cantering in mindless circles. She was really RBE/RBI/LBE, and wasn't listening to me. Finally, I flicked my carrot stick in front of her, hoping that she'd notice me and stop, but instead she turned around, without changing gait, and ran around the other way. I finally got her to stop and calm down. She just stood there for a minute, and then licked her lips, coming up to me. I gave her a treat, and then played some Friendly Game. She then walked away, turning her butt to me. I started playing the Catching Game. She leaped into the air, ran around, turned to me, and then ran a little bit more. She was playing! So we played for a while, then I sat down.

Once again, we played the Circling Game!! Oh, that was so great. We were at Liberty, and I was sitting on the ground. I wasn't sitting right in the middle of the round pen. Brizzee would trot, then canter, then trot again etc. She cut across some of the round pen, to make a perfect circle around me. THat was a great feeling. I then just barely glanced over my shoulder and glared at Zone 3/4. That was all it took before she stopped, and came right up to me!! She sniffed my shoulder, and then sniffed all over me. I slowly stood up, threw the Savvy String over her back, and decided that was a good place to end. As I walked towards my mom, Brizzee FOLLOWED ME!!

When I first got her, she would litterally turn away from me, and didn't want ANYTHING to do with me. So for her to come to me, and follow me at LIBERTY (without a halter or lead rope), was really great...and a great feeling as well! As I said, there's nothing better then this NATURAL Program!!


Savvy On,

~Randa~ & ~Brizzee


After a very fun day!! Partners for Eternity!!

1 comment:

coc_parelli said...

Brizzee sounds like she is doing great! What cute pics. too! Brizzee is adorable...she reminds me a lot of my filly Dixie! :)

Savvy Out,

Olivia, Cocoa, and Dixie

Natural Horse Man Ship