Welcome to my blog of my progress in the Parelli Program!

This is a blog of my journey with my wonderful, amazing, smart, unconfident and then pretends to be--and is-- defaint, Quarter Horse mare, Brizzee, in the Parelli Program! We are official Level 1 Graduates as of spring, of 2009! We are currently playing with On-Line and Freestyle at Levels 2 & 3. I am also beginning to "play" with a friends horse. Sugar is a RBI 5 year old bay Quarter Horse. She is really "calm" and "quiet" and isn't very confident, but she's sensitive and very willing. I thank you for coming with me along my journey of playing with two wonderful horses! :)

Thursday, January 29, 2009

Went to the Arena today

I rode a little today! My mom and I took the horses up to an indoor Arena today. We took Brizzee and my mom's horse, Ute. Right after we got there my mom had to help a friend of hers in the kitchen, so I was alone playing with Brizzee. We had cones, a tarp, and a ball. Well, we weren't the only ones in the Arena, so meanless to say we didn't use any of that stuff. I started playing with Brizzee while Ute was tied up...meanless to say, that didn't go well at all. She didn't even try to do anythign I asked. She just wanted to be right next to Ute and as soon as I asked her to do anything (even near Ute), she'd refuse and we'd get into an argument.

It was a little nerve racking, but I was able to squeeze her between myself and Ute *hehe* and then we move aroudn the arena. Brizzee was kinda tense until we headed back for Ute. Course, there was a guy working his horse on the other side of the Arena and he was really getting after his horse.

We played all the Seven Games (around Ute...but it was slightly difficult) and then I got clueless. I had no idea what to do next! I mean, there was no obstacle, I couldn't really do anythign with her unless Ute was right there. Which that made me feel bummed because I was hoping that she would have enough faith in me as a leader now, but she did do better there then she has in the past, and she looked to me more, but she had to be right beside Ute.

I then just rubbed her, thinking about what to do. I went out to the trailer and got the saddle, saddled her up, and then practiced lateral flexion, hopping up and down, getting on her, getting off of her, all near Ute. I want her to learn that as soon as I get on her, we need to hurry up and just stand there. See, it used to be that as soon as you get on her, she'd go. So I'm trying to play with that. She was confident and everything after a few times of this (she wasn't that confident with the right side, but we'll play with it) I put my leg over.

We sat there for a few minutes and then she left Ute! That shocked me and then I just kinda went with her. I (big oops) didn't notice the nice little green haystack she was going towards. I noticed it right after we got there, so I turned her around and we started riding around the pen. Everything was fine. I asked for a trot and just as I asked for it the guy working his horse cracked the whip or whatever he was using. Brizzee went into a very fast trot and went right next to Ute. She would not listen to me AT ALL after that. That's when I called it quits.

We were there for a few hours, and this guy that was working his horse, had his children in the pick up, with NO HEAT on!! They were toddlers! It made me so mad! A while before we left he started the engine, and when he was back across the Arena he looked at me and you'll never guess what he said; "Who's teaching you the stick method?" I darn near laughed. Stick method?, I never heard of that before. I came so close to saying; "Why?" But I didn't. Instead, I just cleared my throat. "Pat Parelli," I was going to go on but he just kinda nodded his head and rolled his eyes. Oh, that made me FURIOUS. He's free to do whatever he wants with HIS horse, and I won't bother him, but that means that I should be free to do WHATEVER I want with MY HORSE!! He doesn't need to act that way!

I was mad...I have to admit though, he was doing some pretty interesting thigns with his horse, if you can look past the head tossing, tail swishing, chewing at the bit constantly, and acting up. But, anywho, that was pretty mcuh it. Here is a picture of her when we were getting ready to leave. She looked like a pack mule, lol. She's a bit stary eyed because he was getting after his horse again...I feel so sorry for those horses...and feel so helpless :(

OH, before we went to the Arena we groomed the horses. That went really well. As soon as we were out of their paddock, Brizzee was looking for F-O-O-D *hehe, that a Left Brain Introvert for you*, and then after she finsihed we played the circling game, and squeeze game betweent the trailer. I then tied her up and groomed her. I stood right behind her again, grooming her tail. I don't think I was even grooming it for a minute before she relaxed it. I am so proud of her!

She then had manure and crap on her legs, so I was grooming/massaging her back legs, and even picked one up. I felt so stupid. In my head I'm pretty sure that she's not going to kick me, but I'm arguing with myself worried that she will, but I don't think she will, so I'm arguing with myself. Anyways, I ask her to lift her back leg. She shifts her weight, just ever so slightly, so that she can lift it, and what do I do? Jump and go running backwards. Great leadership huh? I smacked myself on the head (kinda like those V8 commercials. hehe).

But, in the end I picked up her back hoof a total of three times and she was basically asleep, and her foot was very relaxed. And then we loaded her up and took her to the Arena. It's funny, if there's another horse in the trailer, you can't stop her from getting in there, but theren't no horse in the trailer, and you can't get her in there! Course, that was before we started Parelli. I can't wait until this snow, ice, wind, and COLD leaves so I can PLAY WITH MY HORSE!! Come on, WARM UP! lol.

I have a Science Project I have to do for a Science Fair...Ugh. I am not looking forward to that at all, but my project will be interesting! I am going to take pictures of Brizzee's hooves, Storm's hooves, and either's Simbo's, or Ute's hooves. Brizzee has been foundered from eating too much grass, and Storm has been foundered by eating too much grain (her orginal owner gave her two coffee cans full of grain TWICE a day). And Ute and Simbo's hooves are fine, except Simbo is a Mustang. So, I'm going to take pics of their hooves and explain about how they got foundered, etc.

My mom and I are going to go to a Natural Herbal/Remedy/supplement place and see if they have something for hooves about founder, and start her on something and explain her progress and how her hooves are changing, etc. Plus, hopefully our trimmer will be here to trim their hooves soon, so then I can document that. So, I'm a little excited about doing it, just not setting up and... *gulp* having it be judged and talking to the Judge. And most importantly, there will be PEOPLE there...Ahhh!

So anyways, I'm probably going to be posting a lot of hoof photos. lol. I hope that everyone is having a SAVVY journey so far!

"Horses don't care how much you know, until they know how much you care." - - Pat Parelli
"This is a dance, between horse and man." -- Mary Ann Kennedy

Savvy On,
~Randa~ & ~Brizzee~


No comments:

Natural Horse Man Ship