Welcome to my blog of my progress in the Parelli Program!

This is a blog of my journey with my wonderful, amazing, smart, unconfident and then pretends to be--and is-- defaint, Quarter Horse mare, Brizzee, in the Parelli Program! We are official Level 1 Graduates as of spring, of 2009! We are currently playing with On-Line and Freestyle at Levels 2 & 3. I am also beginning to "play" with a friends horse. Sugar is a RBI 5 year old bay Quarter Horse. She is really "calm" and "quiet" and isn't very confident, but she's sensitive and very willing. I thank you for coming with me along my journey of playing with two wonderful horses! :)

Monday, September 28, 2009

It's Not About The Grass

Today was interesting and very fun!! I got done with school--all except one subject, and that's Modern World Studies, but I don't have a test for that until the end of the week--so I got Brizzee and we played outside! We couldn't play in the paddock, because our Mustang is out as well as all the other horses, so it's a bit crowded! And everyone--except of course Brizzee--likes to hang around people and they are in the way, so I decided to take her out, having the grass issue in mind.

You always read things like; "It's not about the trailer," "It's not about the tarp," "It's not about the grass", and I *thought* I had that drilled in my mind...WRONG! lol. So today I set up three cones, had a grain bucket on one end, and of course the grass on the other. We did weaves and then she ate grass for a while, and we did sideways away from and towards the grass. She really got to trotting and going fast towards the grass, so that was interesting. And after we played a few more things, we played on the grass.

If we were playing the Circling Game and she ate the grass, I wouldn't ask her to stop eating and then go again, instead I would just ignore her eating grass and be like; "You'd better get going." And she did! Then it dawned on me; "IT'S NOT ABOUT THE GRASS!!" DUH!! My, my, my. So we really had fun with that. She went sideways a long way away from me with the motorhome in front of her and my feet stayed stilL. Sidewaysing away without anything in front of her is a little challenge. She likes to go forward a lot, but for the most part she is goign sideways, and she's trying so hard, I love her to death.

After a few games on the grass, and she actually came all the way into me without stoping to snatch a bite, I decided that I would ride her bareback a little. Well, first of all I tried hopping onto her neck, and the wasn't working. So then I tried leading her up to soemthing, but there wasn't really anythign I could lead her up to so I tried to get on her neck again...such a sweet girl. She lifted me up and I manuevered to her back, swung my leg over, and just as I was getting ready to push myself back, she decided she just had to get a mouthful of weeds...well, I fell off. I did a summersault over her head and landed on the gravel. She just jumped away and braced, her eyes were all big and white, and then she slowly started blinking. Then I lead her up to a trailer, hoping that it would stay down on its tongue, which thank goodness it did, and hopped onto her back. I think that's the most "enjoyable" ride we've had most of the summer. She didn't fight wanting the grass. She pushed it everynow and then, but I didn't get in a fight, I just slightly moved the rein (tied the 12' to the halter) and she'd look away, and she really followed my body language and pressure today, so I'm excited. I don't know what happened to change her attitude about needing the grass while I ride her, but I'm excited!

I just can't beleive "It's not about the grass!" clicked into my mind until today, but duh! It's obvoius. I don't how many times Linda talked about it or whatever and it's like; "Yes, but how do you get your horse away from the grass??!" YOU DON'T! You just ignore it. She was looking at me funny too...I'm excited that that finally clicked, now I wonder how many other things I hear them say constantly until "OH! I got it." strikes home!

Day after tomorrow we will probably move the round pen up closer to the house somewhere to put the 5 month old filly, Gunsmoke in. My mom and I both will be playing with the filly; she hasn't even had a halter on her before, so she will be raised Parelli. I'm excited to see the difference between how it is playing with her, then how it is playing with Brizzee...major difference I'm sure. But I'm so happy! Every since I can remember I've wanted to play and "train" a foal, and now I get my chance, it's awesome!!

I only have a dentist appointment tomorrow, and then another one 2 and half weeks from today, and that's when I get my parmenant crowns on, so hopefully I will be dentist-free for 6 months afterwards! Unfortunately, lol, I still have school, but there's nothing I can do about that. School, babysitting, horses, and everything else---as Linda would say, "Oh Boy!" ;-)

Savvy On,
~Brizzee~ & ~Randa~

No comments:

Natural Horse Man Ship